History

Origin of the name “Moorefield”

1796 – Patrick Moore was convicted in county Meath, Ireland and transported to NSW for life.

1797, May 27 – Moore arrived in NSW aboard the “Britannia”.  He worked as a blacksmith in Parramatta and co-habited with Rose Green.  They had three children all of whom eventually predeceased Patrick and Rose.

1806 – Patrick was granted a conditional pardon.

1812, August 25 – Irish emancipist, Patrick Moore, was granted 60 acres at Botany Bay which he farmed.

1851, September 29 – Patrick died and the property passed into the hands of a second Patrick Moore who was the Irish born nephew of the original Patrick Moore.  Patrick (nephew) increased his landholdings at Kogarah to 163 acres a lot of which was Patmore’s Swamp.

1877 – Patrick (nephew) died and the estate (which included a magnificent two storey mansion facing President Ave) was passed to his wife and only son Peter, then aged 21.

1884 -Peter Moore embarked on a bold speculation to establish horse racing in the now developing St George district.  His racecourse, to be called Moorefield Race Course, would be on a scale comparable with any course in Sydney.

1888, October 13 – First race meeting at Moorefield Race Course was a resounding success.  A crowd of over 3000 filled the ground.

Ø Earnshaw, Beverley. The land between two rivers : the St George district in federation times, Kogarah, N.S.W. : Kogarah Historical Society, 2001.

Moorefield Girls High School & James Cook Boys High School

Moorefield Race Course 19541954 – The initial First Year intake of Moorefield students was “housed” in four spare rooms of the then new Jannali Girls High.  The following year these students were split and those who lived on the St George side of the Georges River attended Hurstville Girls Junior High while those who lived on the Sutherland side of the Georges River attended the new Port Hacking High (co-ed).

1954, July – 19 (27?) acres (bordered by Princes Highway and President Avenue) purchased from Sydney Turf Club by the Education Department for £60,000.

1955, January – Moorefield Girls High School originally opened as Hurstville Girls Junior High School having moved into buildings vacated by Hurstville Central Home Science School which had moved to and became Penshurst Girls High School.  There were 3 First Year classes and the 2 Second Year classes were students who had transferred from Jannali Girls High School. 

1955, November – Monier Builders P/L tendered to build two secondary schools to serve surrounding districts.  Maximum enrolment 1000 pupils each school.  A Technical College was to be erected on an adjoining site of 9 acres.

1956 – Minister for Education, Mr R J Heffron approved tender of Monier Builders Pty Ltd for Stage One of high school project for £160,000.  Stage One to consist of a manual training block, a home science block, assembly areas and paths, toilets, shelters and special food preparation units.  The two new blocks to be used as temporary classrooms until Stage Two was complete.

Hurstville Girls Junior High now had 4 First Year classes, 3 Second Year classes and its 2 Third Year classes who undertook the Intermediate Certificate.

1957, February – First stages of both schools were occupied at the beginning of the school year by First Year students only (359 boys and 408 girls).  Other years remained at Hurstville Girls’ Junior High School until completion of Stage Two.  The total cost of Stage One, for both schools was £160,000.  Work on boy’s was school temporarily suspended.

1957, April – Projected completion date of the girls’ school with the exception of Administration and Science Blocks.  Classroom Block was completed and 275 girls in Second, Third and Fourth Years transferred from Hurstville Girls Junior High.

1957, July – Projected recommencement of work on boys’ school.

Moorefield Girls High School 19571957, December – Projected completion of both schools.  Expected cost of Stage Two, £345,000.  Total enrolment at Moorefield Girls High School was 681 students.  Total building cost of two schools was eventually £512,000.

1958 – Nineteen Fifth Year students were the first Moorefield girls to sit for the Leaving Certificate.

1959, August – Enrolment at James Cook Boys’ High had increased to 950.

1973 – Library & Science Block                       

???? – Gymnasium

51 thoughts on “History

1. Hi I attended Morrefield Girls from 1958 to 1962 or 3
    I am trying to find out dates, teacher names, etc. for a creative writing exercise. Would love to be able to contact other class girls. I have one still from school but others would be great.
    Thanks.

2. i was in 2bc and 2bc..have connected with margaret spies and dianne cook would like to hear from more

3. Was send a cutting from the Telegraph 18/9/12 with my name in it, regarding a reunion to be held 27/10/12. I attended Moorefield Girls High from1958 to 1960. Hope all who attend have a great time catching up the last 42 years. I moved to Brisbane Qld 40 years ago, with my husband and 3 children, 2 boys 1 girl, have 9 grandchildren and enjoying life and a granny,

4. Hi Sandra, I remember, Mathematics 1&2, Miss Nicholls, Mrs .Clegg, Latin, Miss Wilson, French and German, Mrs Watters, Physics and Chemistry, Miss Novak, History, will post more if I remember them. Sylvia Hicks(Wellington). 🙂

5. I attended Moorefield GHS 1958 to 1960 1AH 2BC 3BC. Would love to catch up with any girls from my classes. Especially Bronwyn Jones. I am now living in Hervey Bay Qld, we had 3 boys, 6 grandchildren and our 1st great arriving in June.

6. I attended Moorefield GHS 1958 to 1960 Would love to catch up with anyone from those years. My 1st year was ok,then went to 2nd year on probation & this wonderful teacher Miss Tarlington rescued me, also had a maths teacher Miss Rees, that is another story, would love to hear from Wendy Kershaw & Florence? Had some fun times there.

7. Hi,
    My Mum, Marilyn Anderson, attended Moorefield between 1963 and 1965. I am desperately trying to locate her best friend Diane Williams. If anyone knows of her whereabouts I would love to put them in contact. Many Thanks.

8. Hi , I attended MGHS 59 to 64 . Think that’s right .Anyone know of Robyn Herbert, Lorraine Rich ,Dianne Robertson . Would love to know how they are

9. Pretty sure the gym opened in 1975. I can remember being one of the first classes allowed in once it opened.

10. attended Moorefield between 1960-61-62 was in 1ch 2bh 3bh still friends with Sandra Albertson nee Criss

11. Hi I attended moorefield in 1960 ,61,62 was in 1bh , 2bh,3bh. Was and still are friends with Adele Lofthouse (nee Russell)

12. Hi trying to locate either JANE waters , meg waters or JASSY waters if anyone can help it would be much appreciated

13. Hi Sandra Kirby. I remember you o. The foleys buses, I was always jealous of your black briefcase lol. Hope your doing well

14. I started at Hurstville Girls Junior High in 1956 and Transferred to Moorefields in 1957. Did LC in 1960. Anyone remember me?

15. the gymnasium was completed in either 1974, maybe at the end or in 1975. I started 1st form in 1974 and can remember having PE classes out of the canteen and can also remember being pretty excited to see the showers and change rooms in the new gym. Spent many hours there learning lots of new tricks in Gym club, after sport on Monday afternoons, def in YRs 9 – 12. We loved it, we had school leotard and put on performances to raise money for the rest of the school to attend.

16. I was at Hurstville Girls Junior High in 1955 & 1956 and transferred to Moorefield in 1957 where I completed my Intermediate Certificate. Went to Miss Hales Secretarial College in 1958.

17. Hi Sandra
    Great to hear from you
    Where are you? Still in the area
    I am at Tweed heads on the Queensland border
    Still in contact with Pam Summergreen now Clark
    We had a catch up last year
    Pat Smedly, Elizabeth Dransfield Susan munsie
    Great time. Please reply
    Hope you are well. Regards
    Sandra

18. Hi Sandra ,
    How great to hear from you , I,am living in the country at Forbes have. Even here for about seven years , my husband passed away unexpectedly. A year after we moved so life has taken another turn. I am still friends with Adele Lofthouse (Russell) not sure if you remember her , ran into,Pat Smedley at a reunion a few years ago. Imcan remember I,was always a bit in awe of you , I,was always shy and you seemed so grown up and confident lol I,occasionally get back to,the old stomping grounds. But sad to see how things have changed Not sure it is always for the best. lovely spot you are living hope all or most of your youthful dreams have come true. As I remember think you had a crush on warren. The bus driver , but then I think most girls did. Lol. Lovely to,hear back from you are you on FB keep in touch.
    Love Sandra

19. Hi Sandra,
    I have s similar story, was widowed last year, so trying to get my life back together, Mum is still living at Oatley so am down in the St George area every six weeks. Yes I could not live there now, too crowded for me,also.
    Moved here in 1974 and did run into Warren in 1976/77 had lots of laughs about the bus trips to and from school. Have not had contact since then. I am on FB lets catch up. Take care
    Sandra

20. Hi Sandra (Kirby) I have not kept in contact with any old school friends but have lots of old school photos especially from primary, Sans Souci Public. Have only just found this site, good to hear what people are up to and see some familiar names.

21. Attended MS 1960 TO 1962. Remember Miss Foley well. Can’t recall our geography teacher’s name but I do recall she was fantastic. Vivid memories of the double decker bus rides to school from Sans Souci. Party trick was trying to throw my school hat under the wheels of the bus. Also of sneaking down to the back of the playing fields to smoke with James Cook boys! Tse tsk..

22. Hi Sandra (Budd) I was friends with Pam Summergreen as well, we worked together and she used to give me a lift to work with her. She came to my wedding in 1970 then we lost contact. I live at Ballina now, so just down the road from you. We are going to CoolyRocks on June long weekend as we have old Ford cars. Looking at Cherrill’s comment, I remember the boys down the back of the playing fields as well sitting on the fence.

23. I attended Moorefield Girls Highschool from 1966 to 1969 .I lost touch with my old school friends .Would love to hear from any old friends I am living on the Gold Coast.

24. Attended MGHS 1957 to 1960 in classes 1AH then 2AC 3AC. Would loved to hear where any class mates ended up.

25. I am trying to find any girls who may have known my sister Susan Church. She left year 10 in 1972. Her 60th birthday is coming up and I would like to try an find some of her old friends.

26. Hi Sandra (Kirby)

Is this Sandra whose mum and dad are Merv and Joan with a brother Ross. I was at Moorefield from 1960 until 1964 (or 63). I have no school photos or school magazines of this time. Girls I remember – Cheryl Campbell, Vicky and Carolyn Martin, Bonnie Faulkner, Robyn Probert, Lynette Thiele, Janet Thom, who I am still in touch with. Sylvia (Wellington) I have seen you a few times, our mutual friend Jean Hallam (Bolton). Would love to hear from anyone from this time. Teachers I remember are Miss Tarlington, Miss Housie, Miss Rees, Miss Nichols. Lynne McGrath (Swain)

27. Save the date – Thursday 14 September 2017
    Looking for ex students to register now! Please send an email with your name (include maiden name if applicable), the year you left and the scholastic year you were in when you left school.
    Send email to:  moorefielg-h.school@det.nsw.edu.au

28. Hi Sue. I have tried to email you on the above email address, is it correct as my email would not send. Any information appreciated. Thanks Lynne mcGrath (née Swain)

29. I went to MGH from 1966 to 1971 my name was Lea Richards prior to,that went to Carlton South Primary school had a sister named Linda two yrs older than me my cousins went there too Michelle Murray Tina Murray would like to hear from anyone that was around then

30. Dear Phoebe,

My name was Pamela Gittoes, now Griffith. I do remember you well. You had lovely natural curls and an interesting personality. Whilst we were not close friends I always enjoyed talking to you as you had a worldly approach to life.

31. Hi Pamela, I remember you name well, but I can’t quite identify who you are in a 3A photo I have.

32. Hi Pamela, I have now Googled your name and found you are an artist – fascinating! I couldn’t draw or paint anything to save my life, so we live in very different worlds. If you are interested you can Google my name and find out some of what I have done with my life. What you won’t find is I have 4 children, 8 grandchildren, 2 great grandchildren and currently live in Maitland in the Hunter Valley. You are the only person from school who has made contact. I learned from group Facebook page for the school that there will shortly be a celebration of the school’s 60th birthday. I won’t be going as I live too far away and I have some health problems. You could contact me by email on phoebet@bigpond.com if you’d like to keep in touch.

33. Hi Phoebe Thornley (Levett) Remember you well. .I went to HGJHS 1956 (1A) then Moorefield in 1957 -1960 (LC).think we were in same Latin , French Maths & Science classes.
    I shall be going to the 60th Anniversary with Robyn Miks(Hale) Thelma Ciofani (Howarth) Diane Hetherington(Seymour) and Glenda Shoulder (McCallister)

34. Hi Pamela Griffiths just saw your huge exhibition in Townsville. Very impressive.Still remember the lovely lunch at your place with Robyn Caroline and Meg.

35. Hi Judi Crawford. Diane Seymour is about the only one of them I remember.

36. I remember the day the queen visited. 1970.
    I also remember miss ball (English) mr Fleming (science) miss Wilcox ( maths)
    Mrs Patterson (assistant principal) and miss Culey (principal)
    Megan stavert. (1964-1970)

37. My mother Lorna Collin was the principal of MGHS in the early 1970s and had the privilege of hosting the Queen Prince Phillip and Princess Anne as part of the 1970 bi centennial celebrations
    Unfortunately Mum died in Auckland this week aged 97
    She fondly remembered her time at Moorefield Girls

38. I was a student during Mrs Collin’s term but finished school one year before the Royal Visit. The Royal Visit would have been a highlight of her career, Mrs Patterson was Deputy. Sympathy on her passing – it doesn’t matter how old parents are when they leave us, it marks the end of an era.

39. I was a student between the years 1975 ( first form ((year 7)) and 1978 (fourth form (( year 10)) Mr Condon was our Vice Principal. We then had Mrs Johnston who became the Principal. Mrs Johnson was a maths teacher. Miss Brendan – English. A new science block was built under the Library.

40. I attended MGH from 1971 to 1974. I would assume the Gym was built in 1975 as I dont have any recollection of a gym. We used to play sports in the open fields only.

41. My name iis Heather Armstrong (née Wilder) I went to Moorefield from 1963 till 1966 I lived at Carlton my best friend was Margaret Neale I lost contact with her when I got married I married Ron Armstrong from Carss Park in 1969 we moved to Canberra in 1973 and have been there ever since I went to the 50 th reunion and only met one girl and one teacher that I knew I would love to make contact with anyone who knew me

42. Ex students from Moorefield have a Facebook page. There are pictures from past year books and anyone who has pictures is very welcome to add them .

43. Looking for Robyn Scott who wrote a comment on here iam looking for photos from 1975 to 1979 and 1980 my Name is Gail Mayer

44. Hi Gail, unfortunately I don’t have any photos for you. My photo album has disappeared after moving so many times.

Mrs Johnson (Maths) was my Aunty. She passed away only a few years ago. She was in her 90’s.

If I can contact anyone I knew, I can see if they have any photos for you.

45. My name is Loraine Condello nee Mr inkpotSellers. At Moorefield from 1963 to 1965. I remember you Heather Armstrong. We were friends and also Margaret Neale.

46. In about ‘70 or ‘71 I used to live at my Grans house with mum and dad in Marshall Street Kogarah where the Double Decker buses would depart from each afternoon and I was only 4 or 5 and I would wave to the students as they went home. My mum did her leaving certificate at Moorefields in ‘64 or ‘65.

47. Hi Lorraine it was lovely to hear from you I met you in Hurstville many years ago we were all friends in those days we had another friend Cheryl Kimber we talked about marrying two from Marist brothers we live in Canberra and have for 46 years we have just had our 50th anniversary this June I would love to catch up if you ever come to Canberra 0409812753