Motto, Song, Principals

School Motto

In 1955 “Et discendo et adiuvando” was the motto chosen by Miss Gladys Edgington, former Deputy-Headmistress of Sydney Girls’ High School, for Miss M. Pickard, who was Mistress-in-Charge of Hurstville Girls’ High School.  The literal translation of the Latin motto is “By learning and by helping (let us live)”, but it implies that the ideal of study is search for truth through knowledge, and, dedication of self in the service of one’s fellows, as the practical part of that search.

School Song

“Now We Stand Together”

Now we stand together in red and gold and blue,

With all our friends to share with us a comradeship that’s true,

Hands we grip in fellowship; pledged to ever try,

The noblest and the best to seek, dishonour to defy,

When fortune turns against us and other teams break through,

Pluck up your courage for the fight, the game depends on you,

Firm and bold, keep you hold; bravely till the end,

Determined in whatever plight our colours to defend.

Principals’ Roll Call

Mary PICKARD (Subject Mistress-in-Charge) 01.02.1955 – 31.01.56

Edna TAYLOR (Miss)  31.01.1956 – Dec, 1959
D. Culey (Miss) 1960 – 29.09.1967
L.G. Collin (Mrs) Jan, 1968 – May, 1973
Vera NEWSOM (Mrs) 22.05.1973 – 01.02.1977
Olga JOHNSTONE (Mrs) 01.02.1977 – 1986
James Conrad HARKIN 02.02.1987 – 1996
Robyn CRAGG (Ms) Early 1996 – End 1996
James Conrad HARKIN 1997 – 1998 (?)
Susan Cran (Ms) 1999 – 2006
Maria WALLACE (Mrs) Jan, 2007 – Dec, 2010
Marianne SIOKOS (Ms) 27.04.2011 – Dec, 2012
Julianne BEEK (Ms) Jan, 2013 –

14 thoughts on “Motto, Song, Principals

1. My name Penelope Mc Auslin used to be on the first wooden Honour Board as the first name as we were the first cohort to do the Leaving Certicate (1958) from the school. I was in the school when it was headed by Miss Edna Taylor.

2. I was a junior prefect for Miss Taylor, I remember she gave me a teaspoon with the school badge at the end of my term.
    I was also there when Miss Culey was principle.
    I am still in contact with many friends from my Moorefield days

3. Confused about the Principal list as I left in April 1978 Year 11. I clearly remember discussions with Mrs Newsom. But the records above say she finished in 1977. Earlier when selecting subjects for Year s11 & 12 she approved for myself and another student to study textile and design by correspondence.

4. I was at Moorefield when Miss Culey was principal from ’63 thru to ’67. I have been in touch in the past few years with my pals, Rene (nee Poulos) & Denise Tippett. Would love to hear from anyone else who might have been in my years (& who might remember me. Anyone remember teachers Mrs Wegg (Latin), Miss Tamagi (French), Miss Yuill (PE), Miss Ball (English), Mrs Watters (Science)?

5. Anyone from 1960-64? Robyn Herbert, Lorraine Rich, Dianne Robertson .AND the maths teacher who threw chalk was Miss Nicholls

6. Back to who was principal in 1978. It is possible there was a secondment in 1977 and Mrs Johnstone’s dates start from that secondment. Both principals may have crossed paths during end of 1977 and commencement of 1978.

7. I remember Miss Nicholls, I think she was an “old” or aged relief teacher and someone in the maths class made her cry once, obviously some girls played up in those days gone by. I failed her class!!! wonder why?

8. I was a student at Moorefield from 1960 to 1963 when we did the Inrermefuate Certificate. Known as Julie Gill , I remember many school mates very well but have lost contact with all. I left in 1963 to go to MLC Burwood where I did the Leaving Certicate but wish I had stayed at Moorefield because the quality and standard of the education there was the best!!! Does anyone know any students from 1C, 2C and 3C during those years? Looking for Kitty Vasser, in particular . My email is oropendula25@ yahoo. Com

9. I don’t remember Julie Gill but she may remember me as Penelope Mc Auslin. Leaving certificate 1958