About

About me

Ex-student – Rene Panagiotelis (Poulos) Class of 1969

Staff – (1995 to present) – Library Technician

I distinctly remember leaving Moorefield Girls High School in Year 12, 1969 thinking I would never be back and can’t believe the opportunity arose some 26 years later for me to return, let alone in the area of library.

My original career path led me into the corporate world as a secretary and marriage took me into the world of small business.  Motherhood kept me home for some years until the time came to re-enter the workforce.  Fortunately I was offered casual employment as ancillary staff at Moorefield Girls High, my old school.

It felt very strange coming back nearly three decades later but in no time I knew I was in a secure and comfortable environment. Within weeks I was asked to help out in the library and 13 years later, with a few more certificates and a diploma behind me, I am still in the library, working with wonderful staff and feeling very fortunate.

During that time I have, on occasion indulged myself by going through our school archives which consist of many photographs, some year books and various assorted documents from the past 50 years. My overriding feeling has always been that something should be done to preserve our history.

About this Blog

Last year our Principal, Leny Wallace, approached me for some information on the establishment and history of Moorefield Girls High School for the 50th Anniversary Celebration.  It was a dream come true for me to be able to justify and devote some time to our archives.

The Celebration was organised in a matter of weeks and gained momentum by the hour.  In no time the day had come and on 21 September 2007 at 2.30pm in the school gymnasium, well over 200 past students and teachers gathered for a trip down memory lane and an opportunity to meet up with old acquaintances after many years.  It was a huge effort in a limited time period and many staff and students contributed to organising and setting up the wonderful display of archives and to the overall celebration.

After the event, the positive response and appreciation and even some memorabilia from the past came pouring in and more and more I, along with many others, felt the need to preserve our history and the passion and joy experienced at the celebration.  Over the past eight months the big question was, how to go about it and where to start?

Enter ‘How 2 of Web 2.0’, an online course about the Read/Write Web, designed as an introduction to the many Web 2.0 facilities offered on the Internet.  As a participant of the course, I have incorporated the theme of our school history into the course tasks to demonstrate the facilities covered.  The blog seems like a very viable solution to the how and where problem of preserving history by inviting collaboration and connectivity from anywhere in the world 24/7.

Very early days yet but hopefully this will become a united collaborative effort and develop into a dynamic and exciting site in the future.  Stay tuned!!!

June 2008